Today's post was inspired by my sweet Emma Grace. We were driving to get lunch to take to Daddy at work and then do a little shopping. We were getting on the highway, and she found some Vaseline lip moisturizer. Of all things, you would have thought she had struck gold. Here's how the conversation went between us...
EG: "I'm so glad I found this lip stuff because my lips are sooo dry."
Me: "Good, baby."
EG: "I am very thankful."
Me: "Yes, it is always good to have a thankful heart."
EG: "I do. And I have a thankful God."
Me: "I know. I am thankful to God for creating you."
EG: "And I am thankful to God for creating you too....because I love you."
Me: "I love you too, so much."
Gulp! Fighting back tears... My sweet, sweet girl she is.
We took lunch to Gib and did a little shopping. Driving home, it struck me how thankful I really am, for so many things in my life. I thought today, amidst the sadness in my heart, it would be good for me to list some of those things.
I do miss my mom more than words can say. I can't believe two years have passed since we said goodbye. I do so wish this was a day of celebration for Grady's 5 month birthday. I have to acknowledge these thoughts and feelings because they are very real for me and that's where I am today.
But, I'm going to list at least 10 things I'm thankful for. I would like to encourage you to do the same. You can post them as a comment here, you can email me at the email on my sidebar, or you can keep them privately to yourself.
1. I am thankful for my wonderful friend, Shannon, who brought us dinner tonight because today was a hard day for me, and she wanted to make my day a little easier and less stressful. (Love you girl!)
2. I am thankful that Emma Grace's cough is finally better and we all slept well last night.
3. I am thankful for the blessings that I so often take for granted, such as my house, clothes, food, transportation, running water, electricity, the mail delivery, the trash pick-up, washer and dryer, dishwasher, oven, microwave, etc. My life would really be a mess without those things!
4. I am thankful for my wonderful conversation this morning with an old friend of mine, Kelsey. (I've missed you - it was great to hear from you - love you!)
5. I am thankful for my husband who believes in me and loves me even when I can't and don't love myself. (Love you Gib!)
6. I am thankful for the opportunity to speak tomorrow about perinatal loss at this meeting full of doctors. (even though I'm scared silly and hope my legs hold me up!)
7. I am thankful for my three beautiful children, Jessica, Emma Grace and Grady. They have each taught me so much about life in their own way. (Love you to infinity and back!)
8. I am thankful for the beautiful sunshine and breeze this afternoon.
9. I am thankful for getting my dishwasher unloaded and catching up on laundry, finally!
10. I am thankful that I have so much to be thankful for!
I said Sunday I would update with more Easter pictures and didn't. Sorry! I like to keep my word, so enjoy these as you leave this post today. I don't think you can see it well, but Emma Grace's shirt says "Boo". Nothing like hunting Easter eggs in a Halloween shirt... I choose to pick my battles and that's not one of them!