Thank you for visiting my blog! If you are visiting because you have experienced a pregnancy or infant loss, let me say that I am so very sorry. I started this blog shortly after our Baby Grady was stillborn on November 12, 2008. Please visit the sidebar below called "Labels" to find the topic in which you are interested, or just read as your heart desires.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Heart and Soul Sleep

Matthew's appointment with the cardiologist today went well. But not as well as I hoped.

The hole hasn't closed. His foramen ovale is still open, but it's very small, less than 2mm. The nurse said it was as small as, if not smaller than, the tip of her pen. They only saw one hole, not two, which is good. The doctor said that even if it doesn't close they will not need to do any kind of surgery, which is GREAT! He said people often live with this condition and live healthy, full lives. He might have a problem if he ever wants to go scuba diving, seriously, but at least we know its there. He said only about 10% of foramen ovales never close. You already know how I feel about statistics! I will take him back in six months to have it checked again.

I told them about Matthew's breath holding with feedings. It just happened to be time for him to eat, so they hooked him up to the EKG machine. Just as I suspected, his heart rate went from 130 down to 54 as he turned blue. He recovered quickly and his heart rhythm didn't change. The cardiologist agrees with everyone else that this is something he will have to outgrow. The great thing is that it is not related to his heart. I'm not ready for Matthew to grow up, but I am ready for him to grow out of this stunt!

And even though scales vary, Matthew weighed 10 lbs, 8 oz today, which is a whole pound more than last Thursday! He has developed some reflux that he handles amazingly well. I'm hoping it doesn't get too bad. Emma Grace battled it, and it's not fun.

Now, on to some great news...

Matthew ate last night around 9:00/9:30. He sacked out on my lap around 11 pm. I was able to put him down to pump, and when it was time for him to eat again, he was sleeping soooo soundly. I decided we would go to bed and whenever he woke up I would feed him. He did not wake up until 4:30 this morning! If I'd have known that, I would have gone to bed right after I pumped. Of course I awoke with a feeling of panic, but that four hours of sleep was nice! I'm hoping the same will happen tonight, but I'm not counting on it. I'll take every bit of sleep I can at this point!

As always, thanks for your prayers for our "Baby Love". (That's the most recent nickname I've given him because he's just a bundle of love. And well, you already know he's a baby!)



  1. Yay Tonya, praise God for that good news... although not perfect news... I am thankful that it is heading in the right direction and will continue to pray for that precious pumpkin. Tonya, thanks for calling the other day on my birthday, that was so sweet of you and so nice to catch up and hear your sweet southern voice:) I still just love your accent:)

    Praying for you... and all of yours!
    Love you!

  2. I know it's not exactly what you wanted to hear, but I'm so thankful he's okay. Been praying about what we talked about last week.

    love you friend!