Thank you for visiting my blog! If you are visiting because you have experienced a pregnancy or infant loss, let me say that I am so very sorry. I started this blog shortly after our Baby Grady was stillborn on November 12, 2008. Please visit the sidebar below called "Labels" to find the topic in which you are interested, or just read as your heart desires.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Update. 30 Weeks.

I've missed my computer time. I've missed blogging. And I've missed you!

Gib has been super busy with his school work. We do not have wireless internet as of yet, therefore I haven't been able to get on the computer/internet very much. The break has been kind of nice, but I have emails that need answering and blog posts that need to be written!

I thought you might want an update on me and Dumplin', and I need to write just to document some of what's been going on.

A week ago today, Friday the 18th, I made an unexpected trip to the doctor. Dr. Joe was out of town, so I had the pleasure of meeting one of the docs with whom he rotates call. Let me back up...

The night before, Thursday, I had a slight suspicion that my water had broken. I was a little concerned, but the event that led to my suspicion only happened once. I became less worried as time passed. The other thing that was alarming is that I was one big walking braxton-hicks contraction! I literally couldn't get up to go to the restroom without having one. And then another. And another. Gib sent me to bed and wouldn't let me up unless I had to go potty. Which was a lot because I was trying to drink lots of fluids. What a catch-22 for me! Once I was still, I only had four braxton-hicks in an hour and they slowed after that. I decided to wait until Friday to call the doctor.

When I did call Friday, I was calling to ask if my appointment for yesterday could be moved to Monday. When the ladies asked me what was going on, they agreed that Dr. Joe would want me seen before Monday and arranged for me to get in with the on-call doc. He determined that my water had NOT broken by using nitrazine paper. He checked my cervix via ultrasound to confirm that it was long, thick and not funneling. And he checked my pockets of fluid to make sure there was plenty, which there was. So I left the office with some peace of mind for the upcoming weekend.

That Friday afternoon/evening, I started having numerous contractions again. I called the on-call doc, and he prescribed Procardia for me. I made sure to tell him that my blood pressure was normally low, but he seemed to think I would be fine as it was an extended release dosage. Well, it helped settle my uterus but made me feel HORRIBLE during the night. When I would wake up, I felt like I was spinning and very out of sorts. I know my blood pressure was low because once I would sit up and get my heart rate up a bit, I felt better. I only took it that one time.

I checked in with Dr. Joe on Monday via phone and gave an update on how I was doing. We decided that I could wait until my scheduled appointment yesterday.

Yesterday, I had my first non-stress test (NST). For those of you who don't know what that is, they get me very comfortable in a recliner and monitor Dumplin's heart rate for about 20-30 minutes. He only had one deceleration which scared me, of course, but Dr. Joe said it was a beautiful strip.

On to my exam...Dr. Joe measured my uterus using his little tape measure. Keep in mind that the number of weeks pregnant should match the number of cm measured.

I turned 30 weeks this past Wednesday.

After he measured me, he walked over to the counter to record it, so his back was turned to me.

Me: "What did I measure?"

Dr. Joe: "Do I have to tell you?"

Me: "Yes".

Dr. Joe: "Do I really have to tell you?"

Me: "Yes, I really want to know."

[He walks over and stands beside me]

Dr Joe: "39."


I couldn't believe my ears. The day of my last appointment, I was 28 weeks and measured 32 cm. That was on Friday June 11th.

How in the world did I grow 7 cm in 13 days???

We are both puzzled. He checked my fluid levels, and they're fine. He looked all around and didn't see any fibroids that could be making me so big. He doesn't think Dumplin' is much bigger than he should be, but I will have a growth scan on Wednesday to check just how big he is.

For the record, I've only gained 27 pounds. I knew I got big really fast. All of a sudden my pants didn't fit, and I had much more belly resting on my legs when sitting. I surely don't understand it. Dr. Joe doesn't understand it. I flat out asked him if he was worried, and he said no. I could tell he was puzzled, though. It makes me nervous because of my classical incision that I have from Emma Grace. I'm sure it's irrational, but I wonder if my uterus will just pop...

I still have 40 days to go, and Dumplin' has lots more growing to do.

Dr. Joe doesn't want me to take anything for all of the braxton-hicks that I have. My cervix looks great, and they're obviously not changing it. I just have to pay close attention to the difference in those and real labor contractions. Fortunately, I've had them both and can pretty well tell them apart.

I was supposed to start having appointments twice a week, once with Dr. Joe for a NST and once with the high-risk doctor for a bio-physical profile (BPP). Dr. Joe has changed his mind. Instead I will go to his office three times a week. He or his ultrasound tech will do my BPP on Wednesdays, and I will have a NST on Mondays and Fridays. It will cost us an arm and leg in gas, as it is almost 100 miles round trip to the doctor, but I'm all about being super-conservative. I think it will bring me great peace of mind to have Dumplin' checked on three times a week. Plus they're like family to me in that office, and it will be much better than getting stuck waiting once a week for three hours in the high-risk office.

So that's where things stand. I'll keep you posted.

Gib took the girls to the pool for three hours Monday so I could rest. I literally crawled back in the bed and rested. It was GREAT! Tuesday we all went to the pool. Wednesday we all went to the free summer movie which was "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" this week. It was really cute...we all enjoyed it. After the movie, we had lunch with our wonderful Aunt Barbara at MiMi's Cafe. It was so good to see her and catch up for a bit. Yesterday Gib took the girls fishing with his parents at some of their friends' house. They had a blast and enjoyed Zaxby's afterwards. Today, the girls and I hung out at the pool for about two hours and did a little shopping this evening. We had dinner at Chick-fil-A which is always a treat for the girls, especially Jessica.

Hope all of you have a great weekend! My plan is to get our house a bit more in order and catch up on laundry tomorrow. Gib has class all day from 9-5, but we're looking forward to seeing some fireworks tomorrow night from the comfort of our front yard. Our town is having their 4th of July celebration in a different location this year which happens to be just down the street from us.

I'll leave you with a few pictures.

The girls and their fish...

My big ole Dumplin' belly today before going to the pool. 3o weeks and 2 days.



  1. I will continue to pray for you and Dumplin' - soon he will be in your arms! How exciting! I know it's probably hard to stay positive (it was for me), but the comments I got from other grieving mamas, saying that my baby would be safe in my arms soon, were so encouraging. If those women, who knew the pain of burying a baby, could tell me that, then I could really believe it would happen. And it will happen for you too, Tonya. I pray that Grady's baby brother will rejuvenate you and restore some of the happiness you lost when Grady went to be with Jesus!

    And if I didn't know you were having a boy, I'd certainly guess you were - you're carrying him low!

  2. Tonya,
    You look absolutely beautiful... in the belly... but I would have liked to have seen your beautiful smile too:)

    I am glad you are keeping a close eye on things. You and dumplin are in my prayers every day. I can't believe that you are only 40 days away from meeting that precious pumpkin... Praise God... I have really missed hearing what is going on with you... it was so nice to get an update... I was going to email you on numerous occasions...

    Miss you Tonya... my heart is overjoyed that you are getting so close... persevere friend, you are getting there day by day... each day, one day closer to that sweet little guy in your and Gibs arms...

    Love you friend!

  3. t-
    if you ever have time for a quick visit, i'd love to meet up with you when you're in l'ville area for your appointments.
    love you.

  4. I'm sooo glad things are going well with this pregnancy. We are all anxiously awaiting Lil'Dumplin's healthy, full term arrival!!!

  5. It is good to hear that all is going well. I will continue to pray for you and Dumplin'.

  6. Tonya,
    I just wanted you to know that I have been thinking of you and your baby and family. I am glad to hear all is going well. Kiss the girls for me and hope to see you soon!
    Love, Kathy (Mrs. Boo)

  7. I'm praying for you, Tonya! I love seeing your belly!!